Clam Sauce & Spiralized Noodles | Low Carb | Keto
Updated: Nov 24, 2018
One of my all-time favorite pasta dishes when growing up was Linguine with Clam Sauce. This comfort food has been easily transformed into a low carb dish, featuring yellow squash spiralized pasta and chopped clams. I make the white clam sauce just like my moms with one small change in the thickener (which is optional).
Spiralized yellow squash and zucchini make great substitutions for pasta. It's healthy low carb, gluten free alternative that I think you will find satisfying in your favorite pasta dishes. For this recipe, I use the thin spiral setting on my veggetti to make spaghetti size 'noodles'. It's perfect for this dish.
Clam Sauce & Spiralized Noddles | Low Carb | Keto
3 6-oz. cans clams with juice (do not drain)
1 bottle of clam juice
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped fine
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp xanthan gum (can use more for a thicker sauce)
Dash black pepper
2 large yellow squash or zucchini, spiralized
1. Prepare noodles with spiralizer, set aside.
2. In a large nonstick skillet heat olive oil. Add onion and garlic. Saute until onion and garlic begin to become transparent (5 to 7 minutes).
3. Add clams with their juice, and the bottle of clam juice. Simmer 2-3 minutes to blend flavors. Thicken slightly with xanthan gum or your favorite thickener.
4. Add red pepper flakes, parsley and seasonings.
5. Heat spiralized squash/zucchini in a dry pan for a 2-3 minutes just to heat through.
6. Pour clams sauce over spiralized 'noodles'. Serve with parmesan cheese sprinkled on top, if desired.