Halal Cart-Style Chicken with Pita Bread| Keto | Low Carb
Updated: Mar 17
Have you ever had Halal Cart-Style Chicken? If so .. you all know there's nothing like it (the Halal Guys have some kind of magic that nobody knows about), if you haven't had it - I'm so sorry because you are totally missing out. My first time experiencing this deliciousness was in Gettysburg while visiting my daughter. The New York Halal Gyro guys (@nyhalalgyro) park their truck right on Gettysburg College campus! Oh so lucky those students! While visiting we ordered the halal cart chicken. It was served with a fragrant rice, chopped lettuce and the most unbelievable pita bread. Then they squirt this (to die for) white sauce and spicy red sauce on top. Oh man, it's a flavor profile that can't be replicated. But I tried my best at making a low carb/keto friendly version by making a low carb / keto pita bread, a turmeric flavored cauliflower rice, and a white sauce. It's not quite Halal Guys but it was very good! The chicken was juicy and full of flavor, the white sauce was good (not like theirs - that's the magic right there that I don't know about), and the cauliflower rice .. well it's cauliflower rice (not the same as rice, but heck it was good)!
Halal Cart-Style Chicken | Keto | Low Carb
Low Carb / Keto Pita Bread This recipe is from @my_keto_journal Makes 1 serving: 1.5g net carbs Ingredients: 10g vital wheat gluten 15g wheat protein isolate 8000 2g oat fiber 1/4 teaspoon yeast 2 pinches salt 1/2 Tablespoon sour cream, full fat 2 1/2 to 3 Tablespoons water Directions: 1. In a small bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: vital wheat gluten, isolate 8000, oat fibers, yeast, and salt. 2. Place the water and sour cream in a separate bowl. Put in the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds. It should be warm to the touch (not too hot). Mix well. 3. Add the water and sour cream mixture to the dry ingredients, 4. Mix well. The dough will be sticky. 5. Sprinkle the counter with a bit of oat fiber. Knead the dough until the dough becomes smooth. 6. Place the dough in a floured bowl and cover. (Note: use oat fiber as your 'flour'). 7. Let rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes or until the dough doubles in size. 8. Roll dough out into a 6 inch circle. 9. Place the dough onto a baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for about 6 minutes. For details and tutorial, please refer to @my_ket_journal on Instagram. She has full details in her highlights under "gyro pita bread". Halal Chicken:
(inspired by Mr. FlavorSavor)
Ingredients: 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon fresh minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seed powder
2 teaspoons Adobo seasoning (without pepper)
1. Remove all visible fat from the chicken. Rinse and pat dry. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, coriander powder, cayenne, Adobo seasoning, salt and pepper.
3. Place the chicken in a large bowl and add the marinade to the chicken. Stir with a wooden spoon and coat the chicken well with the marinade. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, up to 4 hours (or overnight).
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, full fat
1 Tablespoon water
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, water, vinegar, lemon juice, sweetener, parsley, salt and black pepper. Whisk to combine. Season to taste with salt. Store in the refrigerator.
Note: It's best to make this sauce a few hours ahead (or the night before) so it has time for the flavors to meld.
Turmeric Cauliflower Rice:
1 to 2 Tablespoon butter
1 1/2 cups fresh cauliflower rice
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1. Melt butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
2. Add riced cauliflower, turmeric,paprika, cumin, and salt to the pan.
3. Cook for around 5-8 minutes, until cauliflower is slightly soft but not mushy. Season with more salt (optional).
Nutritional Information Coming: