Chicken Fried Steak & Gravy | Low Carb
Updated: Apr 26, 2018
There is nothing more comforting the Chicken-Fried Steak & Gravy! For a classic, down-home dinner, you need to try my low carb version of Chicken-Fried Steak (aka Country Fried Steak) recipe smothered in gravy. Chicken-Fried Steak with Gravy is pan-fried cubed steak served with a white gravy made from the pan drippings. It's the ultimate southern comfort food.
Low Carb Chicken Fried Steak
1 1⁄2 lbs cube steaks
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (I like to use the stuff in the green can, Kraft)
1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
1 1⁄4 teaspoons pepper, divided
1 teaspoon paprika
3 eggs, beaten
4 tablespoons oil
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1. In a bowl combine almond flour and Parmesan cheese.
2. Place almond flour / Parmesan cheese mixture, and eggs in 2 separate shallow bowls in the working area.
3. Mix 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, and the paprika into the almond flour / Parmesan cheese mixture and mix well.
4. Season both sides of cube steaks with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
5. Dip steaks in egg wash, then in the seasoned almond flour / Parmesan cheese mixture.
6. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large skillet on medium heat and do half the cube steaks at a time, or work with two skillets, if you desire.
7. Brown the cube steaks on each side, about 8-10 minutes total cooking time; remove from heat and set the steaks aside.
8. Drain all but 1 tbsp oil (if any- I don't usually have any, but the steaks are less greasy with less oil) from the pans.
9. Add enough butter to the pan to equal 3 tbsp along with the oil.
10. Melt the butter deglazing the bottom of the pan, and cook for a few minutes on LOW heat; do not burn.
11. Slowly add the heavy cream, and stir or whisk constantly until mixture comes to a boil and thickens; cook for another few minutes and remove from heat.
Serve this Chicken Fried Steak with gravy, salad, and a cooked vegetable such as asparagus.