Cloud Bread Heaven | Keto | Low Carb
Updated: Mar 3
I'm in Cloud Heaven today!! Grilled Turkey & Swiss, Grilled Bacon & Cheese, and PB&J "Snuggies". All made on Cloud Bread. These homemade bread replacements are virtually carb free and high in protein. They are light and fluffy, much like clouds. Don't get me wrong these don't taste a typical white bread but they do the trick for making a sandwich. They are great for burgers, grilled cheese, breakfast sandwiches, PB&J "Snuggies", any sandwich you can think of. You can even make Mini Cloud Bread Cheese Danish with this base cloud bread recipe!!
I love adding toppings to the cloud bread for extra flavor and texture. Sesame seeds are great for when you want to make burgers, caraway seeds are prefect for a pastrami or grilled turkey & Swiss cheese, poppy seeds make a great accompaniment to a ham sandwich, Trader Joe's Everything Seasoning is great for when you want to just spread a little cream cheese onto the cloud bread. For toppings, all you need to do is sprinkle on your favorite toppings right before baking.
Food for thought ... Cloud Bread is a great alternative to bread, it may not taste like "bread". It is a substitution that can you can easily adapt to. It's all about adapting and being open minded.
Cloud Bread |Keto | Low Carb
Makes 10 pieces
4 large eggs, separated
2 ounces full-fat cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
optional toppings (sesame seeds, caraway seeds, poppy seeds, Everything seasoning, chia seeds, flax seeds, etc.)
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Separate the eggs carefully, there must be no yolk in the white.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the egg yolks, and cream cheese until smooth. Set aside
4. In a mixing bowl add egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt. Beat on high speed until they are fluffy and form stiff peaks. NOTE: This part is important, make sure very stiff peaks so they fluff up nice when baking.
5. Very carefully fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites until mixed, but try and not break down the fluffiness of the egg whites too much.
6. Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper, silpat baking mat, or spray the two baking sheets with cooking spray.
7. With a large spoon, "scoop" the mixture into 10 even rounds on the baking sheets (about the size of the top-half of the hamburger bun; roughly 3/4 inch thick and 4 to 5 inches across). At this time if you want to add toppings sprinkle the toppings on now before baking.
8. Bake on the middle rack for approximately 30 minutes. Timing could be less or more so watch them until the become lightly golden brown.
9. Remove from the pans and cool on a rack for at least 60 minutes. You want them to dry out a bit while cooking so they are not too moist in the middle.
Note: While warm they are crumbly and similar to cooked meringue - but don't let this fool you! Once completely cool the consistency will change. If you seal over night they will be much more like a light fluffy bread.
For Grilled Cheese:
2 pieces of cloud bread
1 tablespoon butter, softened
Cheese of your choice (American, Swiss, cheddar, mozzarella)
Generously butter one side of a cloud bread. Place cloud bread butter-side-down onto skillet bottom and add 1 or 2 slices of cheese. Butter a second cloud bread on one side and place butter-side-up on top of sandwich. Grill until lightly browned and flip over; continue grilling until cheese is melted.
Other grilled sandwich combinations: Turkey & Swiss Cheese, Ham & American Cheese, Cheddar Cheese & Bacon, Burgers, Pastrami & Cheese, Fried Bologna, Egg & Veggie, etc.
For PB&J "Snuggies":
On the bottom side of the cloud bread, spread a tablespoon of peanut butter down the middle. Fold sides over to make a 'snuggie'. Do the same with jelly or both peanut butter and jelly.
Nutritional Information: serving: 1slice, calories: 36 cal, carbohydrates: 0g, protein: 2g, fat: 2g, net carbs: 0g